Saturday, February 17, 2018

Chapter Two

History in the Making





It was quiet in the shuttle for the longest time. Unan seemed lacking for any further words, and even Ian’s telepathic voice was absent. Either her best friend had become wholly immersed in his mother’s primed lecture, or perhaps he had found his father’s arguments regrettably persuasive. No doubt Ian was aware of every point of opposition resounding in her thoughts.
“Sweetheart,” Unan uttered in a soft, apologetic whisper, “I’m sorry. I had no intention of lecturing you today. I truly don’t wish to ruin your birthday.”
The young queen wiped at her moist cheeks, head bowed to hide her face. She didn’t know what to say.
“I understand that Derian’s loss left a painful void in your life. And as comforting and attentive as my son has been towards you, I can understand how easy it is to fill that emptiness with feelings for Ian. But….you’re emotionally vulnerable, Eena. I don’t know that you should trust those feelings just yet.”
“I love him, Unan.” The statement was both sure and sincere. Even though her head remained lowered, her words were adamant enough to stand on their own. “I have loved your son for a very long time, but he refused me because of his promise to Angelle.”
“My son loved Angelle.”
“Yes, I know he did,” Eena agreed. Her eyes finally flickered up to look at the old man. “And I loved Derian with all my heart. I still do. But you’re right, Unan, you absolutely can fall in love with more than one person. I know it because I love Ian too. I’ll admit our love is different. It’s calmer and gentler, founded on friendship and the personal link that exists between us. But it’s real. It’s not something that just recently developed because of Derian’s loss.”
Unan sighed his disappointment. “This is because he intruded in your dreams.”
“No. I had feelings for your son long before he revealed himself to me in my dreams. That only made our friendship stronger.”
The old protector shook his head, his features a tangle of anxiety. “It’s just not a good idea.”
“In all honesty, Unan, I’m not sure I care.”
“Well, you should. Ian needs to concentrate on his calling, which is to protect Moccobatra’s greatest treasure…” It was the same argument, and the young Sha had no desire to hear it repeated.
“Then let someone else do it! Assign me a new guard, or a handful of guards, or an army, I don’t care!”
When her adopted father stopped to stare at her with knitted eyebrows, a pang of guilt made her look away.
“I’m sorry,” she breathed.
Her ears picked up a deep inhale followed by a bleak exhale. Unan stood up from the pilot’s chair. “We should go. The council is waiting for you.”
Eena led the way to the bottom floor of city hall where eight elderly council members—Harrowbeth’s respected governing legislature—were gathered together in a meeting chamber. They were seated around a long, oval table discussing the day’s schedule of events while awaiting their queen.
Unan followed Eena at an arm’s pace as she made her way down twisted corridors inside of city hall. When they arrived at a miniature foyer, she stopped beneath a domed ceiling to stare at the heavy, wooden door ahead. Its dark face was engraved with Harrowbeth’s national crest, a magnificent crioness carrying a seven-pointed star. The crest reminded her of the day she was carried over ocean waters in the talons of one of those great birds. It had been a frightening ordeal—nearly as frightening as what she was currently contemplating.
Nervous about standing alone, she called for Ian in her mind but without any luck. The whole time, Unan waited patiently, never urging his queen forward. When she finally reached for the door handle, the old protector helped pull it open, allowing her to duck inside the room. Minister Jorban, Harrowbeth’s head councilor, stood up from his chair directly.
“Sha Eena,” he bowed. “It is wonderful to see you.”
The seven other councilors rose from their seats as well and offered the same respectful welcome, collectively chiming “Sha Eena.”
“And a happy birthday to you!”
Eena managed a smile and a “thank you” for Mia Rahn before Minister Jorban voiced an observation.
“Ian’s not accompanying you today?”
“No, sir, I’m afraid not.” Her grumbled reply made it clear she wasn’t happy about the fact. Unan piped in at once, offering an explanation.
“My son is assisting his mother and Nischeen with preparations for the afternoon banquet. She was in need of a strong pair of arms.”
“Ah, I see.” Jorban raised a curious eyebrow but didn’t pry further. Eena threw out a comment anyway.
“Ian said he would join me later. I’m sure he will.” She didn’t care if Unan objected or not, she wasn’t about to spend her entire birthday without her best friend.
During this exchange, Jorban made his way to an empty chair at one head of the oval table. He pulled it out, offering the seat to their young queen. She seemed unwilling to budge, having planted her feet just beyond the doorway.
“Is something bothering you, Sha Eena?”
“Well, yes, actually. It just seems there are an awful lot of people gathered in the streets today.”
Jorban smiled. “They are all here in honor of your birthday.”
“My eighteenth birthday,” she clarified.
“Yes,” he nodded.
She noticed an exchange of furtive glances by the other councilors in the room. All had remained standing. Eena dropped her hands to her sides, realizing she was nervously kneading her fingers.
“Moccobatra appears to be very interested in my eighteenth birthday. And that is because…” She left the sentence hanging, hoping someone might finish it for her. Jorban did so without hesitation.
“Because it is a special age. It is customary that a Sha wed within her eighteenth year. Traditionally, it is when a young Sha announces her intent to marry and selects a date on which the grand occasion will occur. In your case, given Derian’s recent passing, there is no such expectation. You needn’t worry.”
Scanning the faces of all eight dignitaries, Eena was touched by a collective show of compassion. Bravely, she went on speaking knowing their expressions would likely turn sour.
“I still plan to marry within the year,” she announced.
There were sounds of surprise mixed with expressions of relief.
“That is good news,” Jorban remarked. “Come, sit. We will discuss the matter further.” The old minister gestured for the council to take their seats as well, which they did.
Eena didn’t budge. She glanced at Unan, now standing dutifully against the wall beside her. His mouth was set in a knowing frown.
(Ian?) she tried again, wishing for his support. There was no response.
Courageously—and perhaps rashly—she blurted out her message before an acute case of nerves could convince her to renege. “I’ve already found someone. We would like to marry soon.”
“Soon? As in….out of necessity?” The wrinkles on Jorban’s forehead creased together in a fretful manner. The other council members assumed similar expressions. It took a moment for the young queen to understand their thinking—a presumption she immediately denied.
“No! No, no we don’t need to marry soon. We just want to get married soon.” She mumbled a line of added information. “It’s sort of an untraditional pairing.”
Kai Launi was the first to react, rising brusquely from her chair. Eena groaned. It wasn’t surprising that Kai Launi would be the one with big enough ears to overhear.
“You will not be marrying a Mishmorat! That is absolutely out of the question! This is exactly what happens when you make friends with wayward women like Kira, that pompous little, nuisance!” The tetchy councilwoman pointed a stern finger at the standing minister, telling him, “I warned you, Jorban. That good-for-nothing, blotch-skinned, troublemaker should have been taken off the streets and locked up for good!”
“Hey!” Eena exclaimed. “There’s nothing wrong with Kira! She’s a wonderful friend and as good to me as any Harrowbethian! And anyway, I don’t want to marry a Mishmorat.”
“You aren’t seriously considering a Viidun?” Maxillium was instantly up beside the still-fuming councilwoman, voicing his guess at what an “untraditional pairing” meant. “Those barbarians are not even from our world!”
“No, I’m not interested in the Viiduns either. It’s no one from outside Moccobatra.”
Kai Luani broke in again before Eena could explain herself. “Oh please tell me you haven’t stooped so low as to consider a Semmian suitor!”
“That’s enough, Kai Launi!” It was Jorban objecting, narrowing his eyes at the insulting suggestion from the lady councilor. The old woman snapped her mouth shut, jutting out her chin at the same time.
Jorban stole a discreet glance at Unan before returning his attention to the young queen. She was certain he had guessed to whom she was referring. Her own quick glimpse at the old protector found him shamefaced and eyeing the floor. It was almost enough to halt her resolve. But the thought of giving up both Derian and Ian was too painful.
“Sha Eena,” Jorban said in a most inviting tone of voice. “Who is it that you desire to marry?”
The room fell silent.
“I uh...” Again, she glanced at the disgruntled form of her adopted father. “Minister Jorban, I know it’s not customary, but….I would like to marry Ian.”
As expected, the room erupted with an array of reactions. It was Jorban’s response that interested Eena most, which made his complete lack of expression troublesome. He seemed capable of hiding his emotions as well as Pallador. Or, perhaps, he had suspected the truth. Ian had said that the old minister did wonder about them.
Voices mingled as the debate grew louder and more heated. Maxillium and Kai Launi were up on their feet objecting as a pair. Zerom had joined them, although it appeared he was arguing, not agreeing, with their opinions. Eena tuned in to the loudest voice in the room—Kai Launi’s, of course.
“Such a thing isn’t even proper to suggest, let alone be granted actual consideration! Ian is a protector, and therefore he cannot be her husband! This is outrageous! It is entirely against Harrowbethian tradition!”
Maxillium threw in his opinion when the complaining councilwoman stopped for a necessary breath. “There are at least a dozen more qualified, available suitors willing to step in as Shen. My youngest son happens to be one of them.”
Zerom groaned at Maxillium’s attempt to throw his offspring into the spotlight. “And I suppose you’re eager to assign your son to the position of Shen, regardless of how our young Sha feels about the man?”
“We are speaking of a very important position here. Shen of Harrowbeth is not a calling to be taken lightly! Ian is just a protector. He hasn’t the training my son has in dealing tactfully with foreign dignitaries.”
Offended by their rudeness, Eena raised her voice to speak over the argument. “Oh, and I suppose your grand display of diplomatic behavior here stems from years of skillful training!”
Both Kai Launi and Maxillium glared daggers at the young lady, although she caught a humored smirk on Zerom’s lips. Mia Rahn took advantage of the momentary break in conversation.
“Sha Eena, what you are asking for is an alteration to centuries of tradition.”
“What I’m asking for is to be allowed to marry the man I love.”
Ander, seated beside Mia Rahn, spoke up next. “I do feel for you, Sha Eena, but you need to understand…” He paused and shook his head uncertainly. “I’m not sure how Harrowbeth would react to such an uncustomary marriage arrangement.”
“Why would they care? It’s my marriage, my husband. Shouldn’t it be my decision?”
“That’s not how these engagements work in Harrowbeth.” It was Jorban who took the reins on the conversation. His hand continued to grip at the chair he had pulled out for the young queen. “Promises are made when we are young. We honor those promises, making the most of the unions decided on by wise and caring parents.”
“Derian was my promised one,” Eena reminded them. “I would gladly marry him, but I can’t. He’s gone.”
“No thanks to you.” A chorus of objectionable gasps followed Kai Launi’s callous remark.
“That is enough!” Jorban warned. He cast a stern glare at the woman.
Eena felt her cheeks burn with a sudden onset of tears. She blinked them back.
Stepping forward to take their young queen by the arm, Jorban tugged gently, urging her to move to the table along with him. He managed to guide her to the waiting chair, speaking softly the entire time.
“Sha Eena, child. I am sure that your feelings for Ian are genuine, and I’m sure his feelings for you are the same. But his position denies him the right to seek your hand in marriage. However, there are many handsome, thoughtful, available suitors already assembled to meet you today.”
Her eyes shot up ready to object, but the old man’s head shook away the notion.
“My dear, the position of Shen and that of protector are two enormously important callings. It is necessary that they be filled by two separate, capable Harrowbethian men. Ian is a wonderful protector and performs his duties remarkably well. He has watched over you since the day you were born and has never let you down. You need him as your protector, Sha Eena. We, as Moccobatrans, need him completely and utterly devoted to the job of protecting our planet’s greatest asset. You. The burdens of a Shen would be far too much to place on top of his already demanding duties.” Jorban patted her hand as he stopped the young Sha beside her chair. “You will fall in love with another. There are many wonderful gentlemen you have yet to meet. No one will pressure you to choose hastily. We will wait.”
“But Jorban,” she uttered, nearly whining.
“Now, now, shush.” He patted her hand again in a tender, fatherly fashion. “Take a seat. This isn’t a matter that must be decided presently.”
She felt defeated. Humiliated. Her eyes refused to meet those of the council. How could she stand the arrogant way in which Kai Launi and Maxillium would stare back at her? Her head hung low as she wondered whether or not to take her chair. It felt as if sinking into the cushion would be the same as giving in. She had expected opposition, but not from Jorban. Not after Ian had told her he had read the minister’s thoughts. Had he not said that Jorban suspected she was growing close to her protector? What happened to Ian’s prediction that the old councilor would feel a desire to grant her what she wanted in return for all she had done to save Harrowbeth? Had he changed his mind that quickly?
(Eena, he just wants to know how badly you really want this.)
(Ian! Where have you been?)
(I’ve been busy with Mother. She’s worse than Kai Launi, if you can imagine that.)
(They won’t listen to me, Ian, I need you.)
(Eena, Jorban’s testing you to see if you’ll give in or if you’ll fight for what you want. He’s trying to find out how serious you are. Look, if you don’t want to marry me, I’ll stand down, I swear. I can sense your reservations to cause any more problems. But if you want this—I mean, if you truly want to marry me—then don’t take a seat. Stand your ground. I love you, you know I do, but I’ll live with whatever you decide.)
(Ian, I need you here now,) she begged. (I don’t know what to say to them.)
(I’m on my way. Just don’t quit arguing, Eena. I know you can do this. You were always good for a heated argument with Derian.)
It was pure conviction that made her head rise. Her hazel eyes constricted in response to Kai Launi’s condescending stare. She stepped away from the chair, causing Jorban to release his hold on her arm. An uneasy inhale proceeded her standby argument.
“I can take care of myself. I don’t need a constant protector.” There was a mix of impatient groans and exasperated huffs that followed.
“This is preposterous!” Maxillium declared.
Kai Launi addressed the head councilman right off. “Jorban, you already put an end to this ridiculous discussion, must we continue this pointless jabbering?”
“Well, apparently we must,” the minister hummed, placing a contemplative finger on his chin. “Our queen seems to have more to say.”
“I do,” Eena insisted. She caught a hint of amusement twitch the corners of Jorban’s lips. Boldly addressing the council, she went on. “I can’t understand what all the fuss is about.”
Maxillium snorted, “We told you, had you been listening, that Ian cannot fill two callings…”
Braga broke in with a louder voice, though more emotionally controlled. “This marriage you seek would destroy centuries of tradition. The same valued tradition your parents gave their lives to defend. Would you dishonor their sacrifice this way?”
Eena stood up taller, her voice strong and adamant. “I am in no way dishonoring my parents. I do honor the traditions of Harrowbeth, but I believe there must be room at times for flexibility. Allowances should be made for unusual circumstances.” Her eyes shifted from one council member to the next as she implored their understanding. “Ian would gladly marry his promised one, Angelle, if she were alive. And I would give anything to marry Derian. We both intended to honor the promises made by our parents in leu of tradition, but the opportunity was stolen from us. Our situation is unusual, and it leaves us both alone without promised mates. What does it matter if the rules are altered slightly for an altered situation?”
“Oh, just marry someone else!” Kai Launi exclaimed impatiently.
“No!” Eena retorted stubbornly.
“Then you don’t truly honor our traditions.”
Angry and bitter, Eena verbally attacked the councilwoman. “If that’s true, then it’s your fault! I was raised to value Earth traditions because you left me on that planet for the majority of my life! If you don’t like the fact that I see the world through alien eyes, then you have only yourselves to blame for it!”
Jorban’s calm voice of authority cut in, urging everyone to settle down. Eena finished her thought with more composure.
“I was raised on Earth in a culture where freedom of choice is highly valued. People there choose who they want to marry. I always believed I would grow up to have that same opportunity. I had no idea that the culture I was raised in—the values I took to heart—were not to be mine forever.”
When her gaze strayed to the others surrounding the table, she noted more somber expressions. Nannock, who had remained silent up to this point, addressed her next.
“Sha Eena, I would like to know…do you intend to pass on these Earth traditions to your posterity?”
The worry in his aged features softened her disposition. “No, sir. I plan to raise my children in the ways of Harrowbeth.”
“And you will promise your children to appropriate suitors?”
“Yes, I intend to.”
“Could we expect an heir soon after your marriage then?” It was Ander daring the delicate question.
Eena could feel the heat of embarrassment prickle her cheeks. It seemed an awfully bold inquiry. She was surprised by an equally bold answer from behind.
“If we were to marry, there would be no reason to wait.”
The young queen twisted her neck to spot Ian entering the chamber. As excited as she was at his arrival, she held back showing it.
(Took you long enough.)
(Sorry. Mother was pretty harsh with me.)
(Unfortunately, you may find this crowd to be just as harsh.)
“Ahh, Ian. You made it.” Minister Jorban walked over to the young man, stealing a glance at Unan in the process. Displeasure was noted on the old protector’s face.
“We have been discussing a request by our queen to marry her protector. Now, I’m sure you are aware that such a union would be highly uncustomary.”
“Yes, sir,” Ian nodded.
“And yet you both insist on pursuing it?”
“If Sha Eena wishes to marry me, then yes, sir.” The young pair swapped the tiniest smile, a gesture caught by every onlooker.
“I am curious, Ian. How did Sha Eena come to this decision? Was it her idea? Or was it…”
“I asked her to marry me.” His bold, unapologetic admission received murmurs of disapproval from members of the council.
“I see,” said Jorban. “I assume this was against your parent’s wishes?” His eyes strayed to Unan for an answer before Ian gave one.
“Yes, sir.”
Kai Launi slapped a hand on the table, grabbing attention from one and all before once again voicing her opinion loud and clear.
“This irreprehensible behavior is deserving of a severe reprimand! To pursue a position of authority in this way, knowing full well our standing traditions on the matter, is a violation of all that is proper and honorable within our laws!”
Mia Rahn stood up for the first time and, for the unusually quiet councilor she was, retorted rather loudly, “A Sha marrying her protector may be unheard of and contrary to our normal customs, but it is not against any established laws, Kai Launi. You cannot justify punishing this young man simply for falling in love. And besides…” She paused momentarily to glance at every member at the table. “I believe we owe our queen for her hand in protecting Moccobatra from the wicked intentions of those immortal beings whom she managed to overpower and defeat in a way no one else in this room could have. Do you not remember how our Sha risked her life to save the world? Or are your memories really that short?”
Mia Rahn sat herself down, arching a daring eyebrow at anyone brave enough to throw her an objectionable look. That’s when Jorban returned to the table and gestured for the council to hush. It was silent during the time it took for him to rummage through his thoughts. Eventually he spoke.
“Traditionally, when a queen makes a request from her acting council, the matter is discussed and a vote is cast. I believe this matter has been discussed adequately.” He scanned the room for any objections. When no one spoke up, he continued. “Then it is time to put it to a vote.”
Jorban started off calling for the votes of which he was certain. First, the Director of Science, Technology, and Education.
“Kai Launi?”
The ill-tempered woman stood up in one swift move and announced her view obdurately. “I am most certainly against this union. Ian is a protector, and protectors cannot be suitors for the Shas. Even if he were not such, I find him to be unfit for the position of Shen due to his blatant disregard for our cherished Harrowbethian traditions. His actions are dishonorable and highly unworthy of a king’s standing.” The councilwoman sat herself down in a huff.
Jorban called for the next vote. “Maxillium?”
Rising from his seat a little less abruptly, Harrowbeth’s Military and Defense Coordinator voiced his opinion strongly. “I stand by Kai Launi. There are plenty of available, worthy suitors willing to fill the role of Shen. If Sha Eena were to take the time to get to know these other men, I’m sure she would find one to her liking. My son is a perfect candidate, being just a couple years Derian’s senior.”
Eena felt disgusted and naturally scrunched her nose. She could only imagine how intolerable it would be to live with a younger version of Maxillium.
The defense coordinator went on with his suggestions. “Jerin, the newest head of our national security, is also an available and well-suited possibility. Is he not a friend of yours?”
“Well, uh, yes, he’s a friend, but Jerin isn’t interested in marriage. He’s still very much in love with his wife.”
“His late wife,” Maxillium corrected. “And I know for a fact he would be more than willing to do the honorable thing for Harrowbeth and accept the position of Shen.”
“I’m not interested in Jerin,” Eena declared.
“He would be good to you, for Derian’s sake.”
“A charity marriage?”
“Do you not care to honor Kahm Derian’s wishes?”
“Yes, I care for Derian’s wishes, but he never wished for me to marry Jerin.”
“Well, I assure you,” Maxillium stated quite emphatically, “that he would be hard pressed to ever wish for you to marry Ian! Those two never got along; everyone knows that.”
“Derian and Ian were good friends,” Eena insisted. “We were all good friends. And Derian would wish for my happiness above anything else. That I do know.”
Maxillium grabbed at the hem of his jacket and yanked the creases straight. He boldly stated, “You are young, naïve, impetuous, and above all selfish!”
Jorban chided the councilor, who took his seat while Eena grumbled lowly, “Tell me something I haven’t heard.”
Shifting his attention to the other end of table, the minister called for the next vote. “Mia Rahn, what have you to say?”
The Minister of International Affairs stood up, tapping her fingers lightly on the marbled table. She smiled at the young queen and her protector.
“Sha Eena, I will have you know that I honor the traditions of Harrowbeth, and I respect how strongly your parents felt about defending those traditions. Being a good friend to your mother, I also know for a fact that Sha Tashi wasn’t beyond bending the rules every now and then to accommodate her own desires.” Mia slipped in an impish grin before continuing. “I am certain Sha Tashi and Shen Laynn would be proud of your decision to marry Derian, thus carrying out the promise they arranged when you were an infant. However, considering the impossibility of that now, I believe your parents would wish for your happiness above all else. I’m sure they would feel it appropriate at your age to choose for yourself. If marrying Ian makes you happy, then it seems to me that bending a minor custom is a small thing to ask. Especially given all we owe you.”
Mia Rahn took her seat, and Jorban asked her friend Ander for his vote. The Agricultural Director stood to take his turn.
“I’m in full agreement with Mia Rahn,” he said, his slender frame towering above the others. “And for the record, I believe Ian will make a very fine Shen. He comes from a long line of highly respectable, exceptionally capable men.”
Eena couldn’t help but flicker a glance at Unan. She caught genuine pride in the old protector’s eyes.
Jorban called on the Director of Business, Commerce, and Trade for the next vote. Nonnack took his time getting to his feet. Concern weighed heavily in his features. After clearing his throat, he spoke directly to the young protector.
“Ian, young man, I have nothing against you personally, and I am inclined to want to agree to our Sha’s request. However, it troubles me to know that your acceptance as Shen of Harrowbeth will leave her unprotected at times. Granted, she has pointed out her ability to defend herself quite capably, but…” Nonnack drew in a tentative breath and let it out gradually. His brow pulled taut as he hesitated. “I just believe that the safety of our Sha should overrule all other concerns. I’m sorry, but she needs a watchful protector by her side at all times.”
“I will be there for her,” Ian insisted. “Her safety is my top priority.”
“It is now,” Nonnack agreed, “because it is your only job. I don’t think you realize how often your attention and your presence will be called away from her with the added duties of a Shen.”
Ian came back with an immediate answer. “I will assign guards to look after her in my absence.”
“Rubbish!” Nonnack pursed his lips into a frown, unsatisfied that mere guards were enough.
“Lots and lots of guards,” Ian added, exposing a hint of desperation. Eena looked up at him, worry swimming in her eyes. Then they heard an unexpected voice cut in to offer a better solution.
“I could step in as her protector. That is, if Ian and Sha Eena were to marry.”
The collective attention turned to Unan who stood calmly beside the wall. He met incredulous stares from everyone.
(What is he doing?) Ian questioned, both surprised and skeptical.
Eena’s face brightened as she realized, (He’s offering his help, Ian. He’s supporting us!)
“I am technically still a protector,” Unan reminded everyone, “and I would welcome the opportunity to look after Harrowbeth’s queen once again. It is our family’s calling and our right.”
Nonnack appeared to relax from head to toe as he announced, “Jorban, in light of this new offer, I have decided to fully support our queen’s decision to marry her protector. I mean the first one. The young one. Ian, not Unan. You know what I mean.”
“Yes, Nonnack,” Jorban chuckled. He looked across the table at the Minister of Internal Affairs. “Braga, what is your vote?”
The dark-haired minister stood up slowly, his face deeply troubled. The wrinkled flesh pulled down in puckered lines around his mouth. His speech was low and humble.
“Regardless of my sympathies, I strongly believe that bending our rules, our standards, or our traditions, even if only the slightest bit, threatens the very foundation of our society. These customs which amount to our very way of life have persisted for centuries only because our ancestors allowed no deviation from the set standards that we continue to adhere to today. I don’t feel it would be for the good of all to allow this disregard of propriety. I’m sorry, Sha Eena.” Braga sat himself down quietly.
“Very well,” Jorban acknowledged. He looked to the other side of Mia Rahn and addressed the councilman seated there. “Zerom, you’re next. What are your thoughts?”
“Hmm.” The Minister of Interplanetary Affairs didn’t bother to stand. He sucked in a deep breath before lifting his chin and boldly announcing, “I, for one, say we should be thankful she came to us with a Harrowbethian suitor. Forgive me, Sha Eena, but it would not have surprised me to see you follow in the footsteps of your friend, Jinatta.” His eyes swept across the council as he asked, “Could you imagine the next Sha being half Viidun?”
There was a mix of groans and stifled chuckles.
Zerom continued, leaning back decisively in his chair. “I say we count our blessings and let the girl have her Harrowbethian man.”
It was Jorban’s turn. Eena was fully aware that as Harrowbeth’s Chief Judge, his vote outweighed all others, even in circumstances where the council was unanimous. He had the power to overrule the majority so long as he could back his decision on legal grounds. His vote would be final regardless of who agreed or disagreed.
Itching with anticipation, Eena asked Ian for some insight into the minister’s thoughts. (What has he decided?)
(He hasn’t yet. He’s deliberating in his head; both points of view concern him.)
The young queen opened her mouth to say something before the final vote was cast, something persuasive enough to convey what Ian meant to her. She spoke the minister’s name, but no words took form. Her mind went blank. She found herself uttering what her heart was screaming. “Please, please, Jorban, please.”
It was impossible to tell from the old man’s expression whether her plea moved him or not. Every eye in the room was either resting on the minister, or flickering his way repeatedly for a clue as to his stance on the matter. A long period of agonizing silence slugged by before the head councilman finally said something. When he did, he asked a question.
“Ian, does your mother support your decision to marry Sha Eena?”
The young protector frowned. “No, sir. But I believe she would be supportive if the council agreed to it.”
“Hmm. And you would be prepared to step into a highly-demanding calling? To devote your time and talents learning to perform the functions of a Shen? Harrowbeth expects much from its leaders, as do our surrounding neighbors.”
Ian nodded. “I understand, sir. I would do all that is required. More if necessary.”
“Hmm.” The Jorban's wondering eyes shifted to the queen. “Sha Eena,” he said, pausing, “you realize that an heir is the ultimate goal we all seek.”
Eena squirmed under the minister's serious regard. “Yes, sir.”
“It would be comforting for Harrowbeth to have an heir before long. Another Sha alive and well. A symbol of hope and security for our future. A child who would be raised with respect for proper Harrowbethian tradition.”
“Yes, I understand.”
“And your children will be promised into reputable families when born?”
The young queen found herself nervously looking to Ian who nodded assuredly. “Yes, Jorban, of course.”
“And Unan.” The minister moved a quarter turn towards the wall. “You are prepared to take over as Sha Eena’s protector? A calling that will undoubtedly last for the duration of your lifetime.”
The old protector answered confidently. “Yes, Minister, immediately if necessary.”
“And your wife, Gaila. She will not object to this?”
“I’m sure she will be supportive, sir. Eventually.”
“Hmm.”
The old minister shifted his attention back on the hopeful pair. He seemed to stare right through them for the longest time, contemplating what was on his mind. Unable to stand the suspense any longer, Eena asked Ian for some insight.
(Tell me what he’s thinking.)
(He’s already made up his mind. What he hasn’t decided is whether or not to announce it today. He’s debating with himself, wondering if he should risk appearing eager by asking us for a marriage date.)
Eena tried not to smile, but, as usual, her emotions were impossible to hide. Jorban’s head inclined, witnessing her sudden joy.
“You have a thought?” he asked the young queen.
“I was just thinking…I mean…” her eyes flashed up at Ian, catching his subtle grin. “If you were to agree to our marriage, we could adhere to eighteenth-birthday customs and announce a date for the wedding at the festivities today. It would keep with established Harrowbethian tradition.”
A deep chuckle sounded in the minister’s throat as he judged suspicious the eagerness grinning before him.
“You assume I’ve chosen to grant your request.”
She bit her lip and admitted, “I’m really hoping so.”
“Well then, Sha Eena, your hope is not in vain.”
There was a background rumble of frustration and delight that mixed with Eena’s happy squeal. She threw her arms around the old minister’s neck, hugging him gratefully before suddenly backing away, realizing her actions were probably inappropriate for the circumstances. Feeling Unan’s presence close by, Eena turned to find the old protector standing in his new position. It was clear he would be taking his calling very seriously. Ian’s arm slipped comfortably around her waist, and she leaned into him for a moment. There were readable reactions to their closeness; only two were openly disapproving.
Moving things along, Jorban pulled out a second chair and set it beside the first at one head of the table. He motioned for the young couple to sit. This time they did. Jorban found his place at the opposite head of the table beside Kai Launi. Eena tried her best not to be drawn to the councilwoman’s bitter glare, concentrating instead on the minister.
Jorban cleared his throat and proceeded with an official start to the meeting. He then brought up the first item of business.
“Regarding the upcoming wedding, if an announcement is to be made today, it would be wise to prepare for a wide range of reactions. Not just from Harrowbeth’s citizens, but from visiting dignitaries as well.” 
Kai Launi promptly grumbled an objection. “A public announcement would be hasty and premature, don’t you think? Even if you have given these…children...permission to wed, I’m not sure boasting about the fact without briefing our allies ahead of time is such a good idea. What you’re suggesting is borderline reckless, Jorban.”
The minister gave a slight nod. “I understand your concerns, Kai Launi. However, it’s not as if those in attendance today have any say in whom Sha Eena marries. And besides, the desire for a new heir is great across the face of all the land. I predict this announcement will generate a widespread sense of reassurance and relief.”
“The whole country will think you foolhardy,” the old woman grumbled.
“Oh, I doubt that,” Jorban said with humor on his lips, “since our young Sha and future Shen will be making the announcement.” Amusement spread across Jorban’s face as his attentive eyes caught Eena’s sudden look of shock. Ian’s lack of readable emotion made the old man raise an impressed eyebrow.
“The two of you can decide together how you wish to reveal to the world your intention to marry, including the date of this history-making event. And rest assured, you do have our support as a collective council.”
It was Ian who readily agreed. “Yes, sir, we will.”
Eena looked at her future husband, realizing Jorban had spoken the truth. This would be the end of a long line of Harrowbethian tradition. Their union would truly qualify as history in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment